Monday, 21 November 2011

Migrating to another hard drive

Previously, I don't have any information on how I can transfer big chunks of files from my hard drive to a newer and bigger one other than the usual copy and paste method. It pains to know that it will take sometime for me to have them all transferred. I normally do the procedure late at night hoping it would then be finished when I wake up in the morning.


The migration of files to another drive may be due to an impending device failure or just a need to transfer the contents to a bigger and more ample space (my apps and games are starting to pile up on my one (1) Terra byte Hard Drive). Doing the usual method will somehow entail us towards some issues like:
  • wasted time for transferring large amounts of data. (Workable but will need a lot of patience! )
  • not enough time to get out of impending data loss due to imminent hard drive failure.
  • additional costs to purchase resources for data recovery. (Maybe I can transfer them to some blank DVD disks for cheaper options... may be not!)
The traditional method of copying or moving files is definitely the normal way to do it but there is that big chance to commit errors especially if you have a bunch of folders and a "gazillion" of files to transfer. There is the possibility that you might not be able to save all of them throughout the process.


Well, there are back-up soft-wares to do it for your. Right?


Of course we have those data back-up tools to do the job for us. But I only find them effective if I have started using them right after I formatted my PC so that every single file that I made has already been kept safe saving me half the time. If I am going to do it right now, then it would take so much of my time to do the work. Also, I would need another storage device that will temporarily hold my back-up data. That would be pointless!

I started asking around for some alternative solutions other than the primitive file management tool and the data back-up option. Well I did find one great way to do the deed for me.


Hard drive Imaging (also known as hard drive cloning for some people) is one way for us to make a complete backup of all the contents of our hard drive storage without the need to completely formatting and installing new programs to our PC. (Yeah!) When I say all of it, it means from your OS (Windows) up to your beloved apps and your monstrous amount of files (Just as I do!)


It is a software that will create a snapshot of the whole contents of our drive with the options of storing it for future use or immediately copying it to another storage device for immediate use. All of these can be done in just a matter of minutes but may vary based on the size of data to be "imaged" to a succeeding storage disk. (Still! Faster than backing it up!)


Aside from the cool feature of fast transfer, hard drive imaging programs presents various features for your satisfaction as follows:
  • an option to copy between partitions or whole disks
  • data recovery options that will fix bad sectors and lost system files
  • data compression for the imaged disk for archiving and storage (smaller file than a full back-up using a back-up program)
  • network wide implementation if you want to clone multiple computers (I used this feature when I still have my I-Cafe biz back then! Kept me less down times for my business.)
  • imaged disks can be mounted using it's own disk mounting tool or another similar software
You might want to check out some of the web's free softwares to do this trick:





14 comments:

I clone my pc saves time than formatting even with different specs of pc


http://fitandfashionmom.blogspot.com/
http://fromwalatookay.blogspot.com/
http://raketermama.blogspot.com/
 

Just be warned that not at all times the HDD imaging software will work on different PC specs. General rule is clone only PCs with the same specs otherwise you'll end up formatting it instead.

correct! as experienced ahaha

in my shop before, my son used a a raid configuration in our server pc :)

Thank you for this one Adrian.. Got an old HDD and unused for quiet a while now.. I think, it will be used now.. Cheers!!

Used one too but instead I had installed on our file server. RAID 1 if I can remember, "mirrored" so that if one of the drives fail, you still got another one to boot it on.

Nice Post about Hard drive cloning. This is very important especially for those applications that are complicated ex. Labview applications or other measurement. You can also avoid downtime if backup are in placed.

Thanks! This one has helped me a lot especially when I do some repair works. I normally clone my client's HDD before formatting it just to verify the consistency of their device and create a backup at the same time.

This one is a great post... im look for a guide like this

great tips as I am also looking at getting myself one of those 1 Terra byte external hard drive.

I am not a techie person, it's nice reading this post...

That's OK. Just sharing this information! Thanks for commenting.

I actually understood this article! Don't get me wrong I have been wanting to do THIS but I get lost in all the jargon that I just go. FINE I'll ask my cousin to hook me up. ^.^ But I will still ask for help still it's good to know options to optimize time. 

nice post i think i will try this method too... 

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...