Thursday, 17 November 2011

Make use of private browsing session

Accessing my gmail account, updating my status in Facebook or chatting with my friends on Yahoo messenger using a public terminal is one thing that I've always avoided.

Often are we aware that we are in grave danger when we access our online accounts outside of our homes through another computer. Many of us fall prey to petty cyber criminals when we fail to take precautionary measures when using a different desktop computer other than our own.

A locked out account, plagarized and vandalized by heartless individuals smearing our most valued reputation in the world wide web. Cleaning up the mess is the hardest part.

How we can protect ourselves then?

What I always do and will always will even if I use my own computer is to make use of the private browsing options that has been made available by various Internet browsers. Because under the private browsing mode, no Internet browsing history is being taken into account; passwords and information entered on web forms are also discarded. As long as you close down all browsers after using it, all of the sites you have accessed will never be opened by anyone even by you. This is the safest way to browse the web from any other device other than your own as far as I know.

Ways to enable the private browsing session on several browsers (through keyboard shortcuts):
Internet Explorer 8 and up - Simultaneously press on Ctrl+Shift+P to start browsing in private
Firefox - same way how IE does it
Google Chrome - simultaneously press on Ctrl+Shift+N to start in "incognito" mode

Note: I employed keyboard shortcuts to make it easier and quicker to enable these options.

Advance options for enabling the private session modes of internet browsers to be in effect locally (who ever who may use it) and permanently may be done in the following manner:
  • Tinkering on the settings through the browsers' respective settings menu.
  • Modifying the parameters of the shortcuts (desktop and start menu) (eg. adding a -incognito at the end of the shortcut of Google Chrome)
Adding a few parameters to IE's shortcut

Another good practice is NOT to enable the "automatic log-in" option presented by instant messengers (and some websites) especially if your PC is shared among family members. In this way, you can minimize the chances for other people from making use of your account while you are away. The "remember my password" option should also be DISABLED for this manner.

You can still have the liberty of turning on these automations if you are positive about the following circumstances:
  • No other person uses your computer
  • You have your own user account that is properly password protected so no other person can access it.
  • Your PC has user accounts that is adequately password protected so that people whom you share your PC can use it to logon on to the computer.
  • A guest account is available for other people to temporarily use your computer.
  • You don't tend to forget to lock your PC while you are away.
Our online accounts should be treated with utmost care just like how we take care of our credit cards and ATM cards. Money is not the only thing that is being stolen today. Even our own identity is at stake.

So the next time you access your Facebook account from a friend's PC, switch to a private browsing session and have a carefree online experience.

11 comments:

thanks for sharing this. great reminder nga for our own security.

 I have gotten hacked before. I am one of those lazy people who tends to not change passwords often. But now I do.

Nice and very clear tips from you.
I like you blog.
You may also check my blog for latest techno tips 
Nice and very useful tips.http://thetechno-blog.blogspot.com

I usually use the keyboard shortcuts. It's faster that finding it from the tool bars.

Thanks for the comment. I'll try to share more tips for a productive computing.

This is very useful for me when I need to browse and drop by an internet cafe. I don't want my data seen somewhere of course... and my passwords being saved or worse..saved.

This is a good reminder for everyone, thanks for the heads up!

I rarely use it but I guess I should do that more often. Friends have told me I'm sending them spam (not me at all!). Thanks for providing the shortcuts!

You're welcome. It really comes handy!

even on my own computer i dont do the" automatic log on" and"remember my password" .Veru sueful pala ang private browsing options .pag aralan ko nga .thanks for the tips

Yeah! I was once an ULOP member. Tinamad na ako mag-post dun because of some non-sense topics. Wala na din naman akong comp shop ngayon.

basta ako pag nag-open ng mga bank transaction sa ibang comp o comp. shop I'll make sure na naka https pag ganun kampante na ako. Mukang ka-ulop ka din used to be on that forum too

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...